Friday, September 4, 2009

Ashley Riffs on Rifflandia!


With the mounting excitement around Victoria's own music festival steadily rolling to a boil, we though that we would give the keyboard to lab's own queen of the scene, Ashley Dusseault, to share with you her favorite Rifflandia picks this year.

 "(I’m going to try to keep this brief and concise because, Lord knows,

giving me the opportunity to ramble on about music I think everyone 

should be a part of.... That's some potentially obnoxious and drawn out 

territory.)


Go see Beach House if slow, rolling waves of beautiful crashing down

on a stormy shore of trinkets and organs and the most delightfully 

haunting vocals sounds at all appealing.  

They are my favourite band to happen in the last few years.

I can’t believe they’re coming here.

OMG.


Go see Holy F@*k if you want your face ripped off by psychedelic 

electro-wizards.

Expect the most complicated stage set-up of all time paired with the 

most pummeling energy experimental/improv music can possibly 

possess. I’ve seen these guys twice and I guarantee if you are a human 

who likes music you will appreciate their live show.  

I don't care what musical genre you typically associate with.


Go see Final Fantasy because, regardless of your relationship with his 

albums, his live performance provides such astounding visual impact 

you need not even be a fan to enjoy... Plus we all know how insanely

masterful Owen Pallett is on the technical side, everyone should see 

that kind of musicianship go down in person.


I realize I've really only suggested the big guys here, but to be honest

I was finding it hard not tossing away my obvious bias and just praising

all the local bands whom I hold so dear...


Anyways, out of the headliners, these ones might be a little less known

in this sleepy little town of ours (Final Fantasy excluded) and they deserve

your unabashed love and respect! "



Stop into lab and pick up all your Rifflandia gear ( including one of the best looking magazines ever published in Victoria ) 

Wristbands are on sale for 60 bux and entitle you to all the shows you can stands and a discount at most of your favorite shops. Including a 15% discount at lab just for being awesome and supporting this local gem of an event.

Wanna find out more about what shows will  blow your mind ?

No comments:

Post a Comment