Sunday, September 13, 2009

20 question with Malcolm Johnson


Few things speak of the west coast the way that Canadian surf culture does. While most of the other surf obsessed countries find them crazy, these rubber wrapped die hards on surfboards ride some of the gnarliest and toughest terrain the Pacific ocean has to offer. Right in the middle of it all you'll find Malcolm Johnson. As the editor in chief of SBC Surf ( Canada's biggest surfing magazine), he has toured the globe writing and photographing some of the hardest surfers on the planet, in between catching his own sets of course.

Here is what makes him tick.


Who are you?

Malcolm Johnson


What are you most well known for?

Writing stories about surfing.


What is your must have item?

A good pair of boots.


Who is your favourite band right now?

Lately I have been listening to a lot of Deer Tick and the Felice Brothers. And a band from Saskatchewan called the Deep Dark Woods. It's been a country feeling for a while now.


What are you most embarrassed by?

I have a strong tendency to say the wrong thing.


Is winning the lottery a blessing or a curse? What would you buy first?

It's only a curse if you waste it. I would be buying a farm on Salt Spring and planting some wheat.


What was your worst date ever?

I got the dreaded "Card Denied" at Il Terrazzo. It was my girlfriends birthday diner. That was definitely not one of the shining moments of my life with women.


What is your act of green?

Travelling less. I am also trying to be mindful of not buying things I don't actually need.


What was your best halloween costume ever?

My dad made me a great viking get-up when I was a kid. It had a broadsword and a helmet with horns and everything. It was pretty fear inspiring wearing that thing.


What is your fashion accessory of choice?

My Neil Young T-shirt and my army surplus shoulder bag. And for the fall and winter I have a Patagonia jacket that I wear for bout 8 months straight.


Where is your home away from home?

Clayquot Sound


What is your daily ritual?

A smoothie for breakfast. Checking the weather. Listening to the CBC. Doing some e-mailing and writing in the morning, then some sort of idling or adventuring in the afternoon.


What is your guilty pleasure?

Deadwood


Camping or Glamping ?

Camping. I'm pretty happy eating oatmeal and tinned beans.


What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a pirate. I liked adventures and I didn't like rules, so pirate seemed like a sensible choice.


Who is your hero?

Gary Snider


Boxers or briefs?

Boxers


Cat person or dog person?

Definitely a dog person. I feel like I can relate to the dog mind.


Last book you read?

The Neddiad, How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization.


Who cuts your hair?

Maia has probably cut it the most. She has some solid barber skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment