Tuesday, September 8, 2009

20 Questions with Kenzie Clarke

In our critically acclaimed 20 Questions series we have been taking some time to introduce you to some of our favorite personalities that have decided to call lab home. This week we interview local dance floor dominator Kenzie Clarke. You wouldn't be physically able to compile a list of Victoria's most fascinating folks without including the dynamic diva who developed NYPD ( Not Your Parents Disco) every Thursday at LuckyBar. Those who know Kenzie, know that she is so much more than an amazing DJ, she is a force of nature.

Here's what makes her tick.



Who are you ?

Kenzie Clarke aka Dj Kenzie Clarke (really working hard to keep my identities seperate)


What are you most well known for?

Dj'ing ....... I am half of the duo "Bitchin" with my best lady -friend Mama Miche, and I also am the resident and creator of N.Y.P.D. - Not Your Parents Disco every Thursday @ Lucky Bar. And in a quest to create as many Myspace accounts as possible before facebook takes over the world. I am also in a DJ group called Voyeur/ Voyeur with Hrdvsion, and in the production group Babyl-TrOn with local DJ/producer Fractal


What is your must have item?

I'm pretty easy going in that department. I'm not going to expire if I don't have a particular thing or item, but I think right now my second hand iBook or a good pair of Nike sneakers......or a pair of inexpensive and slightly ridiculous sunglasses.


Who is your favorite band right now?

I'm into La Roux, but still pull out my Grandaddy-Sumday CD when I want to relax about the house.


What are you most embarrassed by?

Apparently quite a few things, because although I am a grown woman, I still blush all shades of red in most public situations. Obviously DJ'ing was such a great choice for me....


What is your worst date ever?

Finding out you're related? I don't know.......I don't date.......see above.



Is winning the lottery a blessing or a curse? What would you buy first?

Blessing.... I would buy what my family wanted or needed first. Then I would buy myself a beautiful new computer and some music gear..... and someone to teach me how to use it :D


What is your act of green?

I rely on the 50 foot limo as my mode of transport, or I walk. I also recycle.


What was your best halloween costume ever?

Instead of living and breathing fashion, I choose to live and breathe costumes. So although Hallowe'en is the coup de gras for people like me ( those who are in the possession of a "tickle trunk") I think the best costume I've ever had was this year at Shambhala when I was part of a pack of Gnomes. Think of the travelocity gnome, and then multiply that guy by ten. We would stand off of the side of paths at the party completely silent in our poses for a few minutes, then yell "BREAK" and walk away. Definately a win.


What is your fashion accessory of choice?

Great earrings, hats, and sunglasses. I'm also developing a sneaker obsession.


Where is your home away from home?

Calgary with Miche, or at my parents house, eating their food and pretending I'm still 17.


What is your daily ritual?

This summer has been resplendent with festivals and laziness, so it's been a little difficult for me to follow through on anything that continues on a daily basis. I guess waking up to check my facebook and listening to new music.


What is your guilty pleasure?

Watching cooking shows on The Food Network..... I am addicted.... but, I am also a damn good cook because of it.


Camping or Glamping?


I had to google glamping....... -10 points. I can't even answer it without feeling a bit ashamed because, although I would like to appear to be a hearty canadian camper-girl who is ready for anything, a week at festival in a leaky dirty tent is less than enthralling to me.
Pass?


What did you want to be when you grew up?

A writer. This was foiled when I was put into an english 8 class taught by the senior boys rugby coach..... Who has two thumbs and didn't read Treasure Island but still. managed to get an A+? This girl, that's who.


Who is your hero?

Chris Longshanks
and my Mom.


Boxers or Briefs?

Really? an underwear question?
I like looking at a person of the opposite sex wearing American Apparel briefs. Preferably in pink.


Cat person or dog person?

Dog. I did at one point have a cat named Vinyl, but on the whole, I just don't get the whole "Cat person" thing. Dogs are dumb and fun and you can take them outside to walk them and junk. If you are outside walking a cat, people think you are a freak.


Last book you read?

The Anthony Kedis Bio - Scar Tissue. When I was 12 "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic" was my favorite tape....


Who cuts your hair?

Jane, the wonderful. The person who gets the most excited about dying my hair into all of it's bright pink glory.



Check out Kenzie's CD mix NYPD ( Not Your Parents Disco ) or go see her live every thursday night at LuckyBar.



1 comment: